National Board of Education
The Marshall Islands Public School System Act of 2013 establishes the National Board of Education. The Board consists of five (5) members appointed by the Cabinet representing the five (5) main geographical districts in the RMI, the Minister of Education, and three (3) members appointed by the Minister of Education representing (1) Teachers, (2) Non-public Schools, (3) Parents, Students or Guardians.
The current membership is as follows:
1. Hon. Kitlang Kabua, Minister of Education, Sports and Training
2. Mr. Bernard Adiniwin, Central District (Ailinglaplap, Jabat, Namu)
3. Mr. Broderick Menke, Northern District (Aur, Maloalap, Wotje, Ailuk, Utrok Likiep, Mejit)
4. Mr. William Reiher, Eastern District (Arno, Mili, Majuro)
5. Mrs. Marcella Sakaio, Western District (Kwajalein, Lib, Ujae, Lae, Wotho, Rongelap, Enewetak)
6. Mrs. Marie Davis Milne, Southern District (Ebon, Namdik, Kili/Bikini/Ejit, Jaluit)
7. Mrs. Loretta Case, Interests of PSS Teachers & Principals
8. Mrs. Victoria Capelle-Langidrik, Interests of Non-public schools
9. Mr. Desmond Doulatram, Interests of Parents, Students, & Guardians
The inaugural meeting of the Board was held on 27 November 2014 at the Ministry of Education Headquarters, which saw the election of the Chairperson and the Vice-Chairperson of the Board and the official swearing-in of members by Traditional Rights Court Associate Judge Mrs. Grace Leban.
Officers of the National Board of Education:
1. Chairperson – Ms. Marcella Sakaio
2. V-Chairperson – Mr. Broderick Menke
As duly established, the Board oversees the operation of the Public School System, which consists of the K-12 schools in the RMI, and will exercise its powers, functions and duties as provided for under the Act.
In giving its preliminary approval of the PSS human resources policies, the Board now provides oversight responsibility for all public school employees under the administration of the Commissioner of Education, formerly the Secretary of Education. A Memorandum of understanding to assure the smooth transition of the personnel from the Public Service Commission to the Public School System is currently being reviewed. At the same time, a novation process is being carried out through December 2014, which entails individual employees signing an addendum to current contracts/personnel actions that essentially effectuates and provides consent to transfer to the PSS.
National board of education
Western District (Kwajalein, Lib, Ujae, Lae, Wotho, Rongelap, Enewetak)
Northern District (Aur, Maloelap, Wotje, Ailuk, Utrok Likiep, Mejit)
Hon. Kitlang Kabua
Education, Sports, and Training
Marie Davis Milne
Southern District (Ebon, Namdik, Kili/Bikini/Ejit, Jaluit)
Central District (Ailinglaplap, Jabat, Namu)
Eastern District (Arno, Mili, Majuro)
PSS Teachers & Principals Interests